Skip to content

Friday Night Role Play?

Every Friday - 9pm EST / 6pm PST.
Game change on a moment's notice. :) Be prepared.

Re: Friday Night Role Play?

Postby Demise » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 am

Logan wrote:Well after hours of playing EQ2 and Star Wars Galaxies (and Fallen Earth and Tabula Rasa and Allods etc)....I'd like to formally apologize to Blizzard for anything bad I ever said about them. (and to a lesser extent Warhammer).

I'm spoiled. I'll admit it. I just take playing an older game to see it.

ROFL!

Well seeing Han Solo this morning, did up Galaxies in my heart a bit... Of course I was looking at Troy's screen and haven't even played yet...

Now more seriously...

Every time I dabble in a new-to-me MMO or visit an old one at some point in the play I wonder why an I not just playing WOW, while knowing full well I have no urge play it again... any time soon...
Demise - Beckex - Nolwyn - Charkara and for a small dose of reality: Sandi
Demise

Postby Sp1ice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 am

I have a hard time getting on my computer to game in anyway let alone a game that has a monthly charge to it now days. I have more important uses for my money and time ( home repairs/upgrades and armor :) )
Sp1ice

Postby Ragemore » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:34 am

It was certainly an interesting weekend, we hit three big MMO's and had a decent amount of gaming coupled with the frustration of a few hiccups here and there.

Allods Online - A throw back to WoW, or at least first release of WoW. I played a healer who didn't seem to heal very much, and didn't find my first experience with this game very fun. We had four people playing which was fun, but it didn't seem like the healer was needed, and I was having a hard time solo-ing anything on my own. Now, I must admit I only attained level 7 or 8, but I have played many MMO's that were plenty of fun 1-20. Some of the things I did like, it is FREE, one of the sides had a cool Russian theme to it. Several of the themes were cool, and a few of the classes sound pretty fun. Something maybe to go and take a look at again when we hit a MMO slump, but right now, there are plenty of other good MMO's to choose from, new and old.

EverQuest 2 - This was a game released within a month of WoW, in fact up until WoW, everything was compared to EQ who was king of the MMO's for 2000-2004. The graphics of this game were dated, but it was playable, and pretty fun. This game has plenty of complexity, plenty of content, and quite a bit of customization for your chosen race and class. I have to mention the shear number of choices is daunting at first, I think there might be 18 or more races, and somewhere near 24 or more classes. One thing that made this really was fun was the themed approach we took to this game, and the fact that at one point in the night we had 8 people on playing in the same area, doing the same quests. The Rat pack idea was pretty fun, and as Logan mentioned we could have done the same thins in Warhammer with a Squid Herder night, it still added some extra fun to the day. The game started with a lot of doubt for me, I could tell there were hundreds of things I needed to know, but they didn't do a good job of helping the new character with figuring it out. As I spent more time looking around in menu's talking to npc's with more info, and just trial and error, by the time we hit 16 or so, things started to make sense. We began to figure out advancement, alternate advancement, collections, Lore achievements, Herioc opportunities, gear, crafting, and so on. I thought by the time we quit on Saturday we really had begun to figure things out. The online web resources for this game, and later, SWG, is really lacking, I'm so use to good resource pages for other great games, it boggles my mind that these two giant games have little in the way to help new people out. These communities have not helped their game grow like WoW communities, or Warhammer, or Champions and so on. I couldn't even find a character planner for any of them which made it hard to understand and make meaningful choices in the beginning of the game. I do think the Saturday session was fun so well worth it.

Star Wars Galaxies - Ahh, this game was the most frustrating at first, and then by the end might have taken the lead of the other two games. It has a lot going for it in terms of Lore, and complexity. It is more open ended then the other two which is you more common find a quest hub in an area, run all those quests, and then you will be sent to the next. SWG was very much, drop you in a backwater desert planet and you decide what you want to do. This game is more about players making their own decisions of what to do and be, with what seemed like few options to follow some linear story arc, of course we finally did find the Legacy quests which was more typical of an MMO. What saved this game in the end was the space combat, the ability to fly with a few friends into a furball was pretty fun and had plenty of room for exciting game play features, sure the controls and remapping of controls wasn't great, and finding people who were separated took us some time, but it started to come together by 2:00 am.

In the end these games were a good source of play over the weekend, could we have all jumped into WoW, or Warhammer and had as much fun??? I think so. Are the MMO's that have released in the last year better than those of the past, probably. I think it is worth while to take a weekend every now and then and just try something we haven't tried before. Sometimes we will find hidden gems that we missed when they released, sometimes we will find reason to support not playing the game, and lastly we might find some reinforcement for the games we are playing right now.
Ragemore

Postby Grim » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm

well said.
"Get to killing or GET THE HELL OUTTA MY WAY"
Grim

Location: Within the confines of my mind.....And it aint cozy here <.<

Postby Logan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:01 am

I'm going to start looking for a flight shooter. Ive had more fun playing space pilot in SWG than the actual MMO part of the game.
Logan

Postby Sp1ice » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Logan wrote:I'm going to start looking for a flight shooter. Ive had more fun playing space pilot in SWG than the actual MMO part of the game.

http://www.totalsims.com/

they have a couple that are free to play.. not sure how good they as I have not played them yet but have it on my to do list.
Sp1ice

Postby Logan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Well Im definitely going to play the two weeks out.

Im really bummed that Jumpgate Evolution seems to have stalled in production.
Logan

Postby DogRobber » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 pm

I was planning to play some SWG again this weekend.

Am I behind by a couple of levels now?

-dr
Where's the poop, Robin?
DogRobber
Site Admin

Postby Logan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 am

I dont think so. I traded in my 1st level ship for a dunlizard (2nd tier ship). Thats about it. I sold every drop I'd gotten to get the cash so I was only able to take the old ships components and equip them on the new ship. So no real change and it still takes forever to knock a tier 2 ace down. I think we all could have done that trade in on the first night if we'd known how to do it. You need to go to the bizarre and search for a ship chassie (I think) and after you buy it go the the ship builder and have him construct it. I just appears in you window when you go to start a new mission.

DO NOT FORGET TO EQUIP IT WITH SHIELDS.
Dont ask.

I might swing by Best Buy and pick up a new joystick as my 20 year old wing commander doesn't seem to be able to hold settings anymore.
Logan

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Games We Play: Friday Night Shootouts