Skip to content

Friday Night Free Trial Darkfall 11/12/10

Every Friday - 9pm EST / 6pm PST.
Game change on a moment's notice. :) Be prepared.

Friday Night Free Trial Darkfall 11/12/10

Postby Ragemore » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Will be running a free trial night of Darkfall on Friday. This is a hardcore, sandbox MMorpg, with a 14 day free trial.

We are setting up on the Dwarf side, and plan to play till people get tired. I will jump on about 8:00 pm, everyone is welcome to join anytime.
Ragemore

Re: Friday Night Free Trial Darkfall 11/12/10

Postby DogRobber » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm down.

I'm having a pretty good time with the game. I'm waiting until I have about 15 or so hours in before I write a big review.

-dr
Where's the poop, Robin?
DogRobber
Site Admin

Postby Logan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 am

I'll start the download tonight when I get home.
Logan

Postby Logan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:08 am

Looking forward to the reviews...

Here's mine.

SUCKS.

I played for a couple hours grinding my teeth on the crappy unintuitive interface. I only kept playing because Dan keeps telling me how cool it is on Vent.

I figure I must be missing something so I log back in and see the first player I've seen in hour of playing. Hey? He's running towards me. Maybe he wants to be my friend?

GANK!

Hmmmmm.

Now I'm naked, bloody and frustrated and can't log out and delete the game fast enough.

Its a shame too because I'm sure a ton of work went into this sucker.

Hardcore is code for poorly designed even Eve and Shadowbane got that part right.
Logan

Postby Ragemore » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:25 pm

I can't list this game in any sort of top 10 in MMO's I have played, but it has somehow captured my attention for longer than a weekend.

I talked with Logan about on Sunday, even convinced him to sign back in and group up and play, but I realize this game is not for everyone. It's a game that makes things harder than it needs to b. Maybe they didn't have time to code in a better UI, maybe the engine they used is limited, maybe they made it exactly they way they wanted it, I don't know. But the UI is the first thing a new player has to judge on a game and this one is 2001. Comparisions to Ultima Online or even Anarchy Online are valid.

Things will be clunky, hard to understand, hard to find. The graphics at first seem 4 or 5 years old, though they did grow on me the more I played. The skill system is expansive an overwhelming at first. Inventory management is a mess till you get some bags. The PvP world, and the emptyness of mobs is different than most MMO's. The aggro range is practically eye sight, there is no indication how tough something is until it kills you, every player who runs by could be pker. Some of the load times seem excessive.

This game is harder to play, and you have to want to put up with the cons to get to the pros. So a list of the two to help you figure out if the game is for you.

Pros:
Skill based system, use it and get better.
Large open world to explore, this is not a theme park.
Racial and Clan based PvP.
Ship Battles.
The world feels dangerous, you play as if you will be killed any moment, fits the dark atmosphere.

Cons:
UI, UI, UI.
PKers.
Inventory management.
Quests seem to be few and far between.
Not free to play.
Ragemore

Postby DogRobber » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 pm

I don't see this as a top 10 MMO for me either.

But I think it could have been.

The skill system, rather then level system, is a joy. I can't stand the usual level rush to max out the level of my characters to get to the "good stuff." I'm somewhat goal oriented, so it may be that I see lots of different things climbing at the same time rather then just the experiance bar. Whatever it is, I enjoy it.

Combat feels like combat, not just targetting something and letting the min / max behind the scenes math determine the fight. I hit with a bow by sighting down an arrow and estimating distance. I hit with my great axe by closing with something and swinging at it. I don't feel like there's a button sequence that I'm just repeating all night.

There's collision detection. I've missed that in most games. And the few that had it, seemed to have minimized it's effectiveness. Last weekend, Rage and I explored a sewer system and I did my best to block the oncomming mobs (at times 5 or 6 at once) with my body and my weapon while Rage stood behind me casting spells. That felt like it worked as I always wanted it to, and it was fun.

While newb grief ganking isn't uncommon, there does seem to be a newb friendly atmosphere in the chat system. Any questions that I've seen asked, or have asked, seem to get answered pretty quickly. Also I see alot of anti griefer chat that indicates that people are trying to give new players a break and develop new players. There's also teams that seem to enjoy running out and killing organized grief groups. It's still not a friendly world out there, but I think that adds to the tension of playing the game.

On the negative, I see the same inmature chatter that I've come to expect from the various FPS games that I've played. A couple of asshats who seem to be subject matter experts on what is "gay" are always posting crap for people to read. When it gets old, I change the channel.

The graphics aren't great. They're not even on par. But I kind of think that Minecraft helped me over that hurdle. I'm not a fan of the UI in the game, but I'm learning how to use it.

Bottom line for me is that I can see myself playing this for a bit. I never carry what I can't stand to lose.

You can run and kill goblins with simple weapons for an hour and replace any armor that I've ever lost and a griefer can't take away the points that I'm putting into my skills.

-dr
Where's the poop, Robin?
DogRobber
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Games We Play: Friday Night Shootouts