Skip to content

Simple Tech Demo for self training

Got an opinion about an existing game's design, or other game design topic, this is the place to throw it up and see what sticks.

Simple Tech Demo for self training

Postby DogRobber » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 am

I'm working on something simple just to work though the paces of getting something moving.

Basically I'm working with a 3rd person controller set up where the player object gathers, sells, and builds.

That seems to me to be the foundation of two pretty fun genres so I think getting that done, even with art-less primitives will kind of give me the confidence to do something with it.

-troy
Where's the poop, Robin?
DogRobber
Site Admin

Re: Simple Tech Demo for self training

Postby Ragemore » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Thinking back on the different games we have played when it comes to resource gathering I like the process to make sense in context to the location. What I mean by that is when I cut a tree down in Guild Wars, I see a tree fall over. when I mine some ore in a cave while playing Minecraft I see it in a vein, and have to pick it up off the floor.

What I don't like is having no animation, or something just disappears, for a time limit then comes back.

I was also a big fan of having a "companion" do the gathering for me from SWOTR.

I realize that you are working through the basics first, but I thought I would post what things a typical non-crafter liked.
Ragemore

Postby Ragemore » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Thinking back on the different games we have played when it comes to resource gathering I like the process to make sense in context to the location. What I mean by that is when I cut a tree down in Guild Wars, I see a tree fall over. when I mine some ore in a cave while playing Minecraft I see it in a vein, and have to pick it up off the floor.

What I don't like is having no animation, or something just disappears, for a time limit then comes back.

I was also a big fan of having a "companion" do the gathering for me from SWOTR.

I realize that you are working through the basics first, but I thought I would post what things a typical non-crafter liked.
Ragemore

Postby DogRobber » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:32 pm

:)
You obviously have a future as in a game corporation some where. I'm thinking in marketing.
1) you're redundant.
2) you want "features" not listed anywhere in the design documentation.

heheheheh.

Thanks for the feedback, Dan. I'm also not a big fan of static worlds that act like a background to the action rather then contributing to it.

-troy
Where's the poop, Robin?
DogRobber
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Game Dev - Game Design